Thursday, January 17, 2008

Biscuitly


So, I'm fully settled back into the ville and in the process of over-scheduling myself into a sure-fire melt-down in my last semester. Might as well go out with a bang... Food-wise, I have made good on my promise to myself that I would ingest a biscuit or two in as expedient a manner as possible upon my arrival in the South. Said biscuit was eaten at Blue Moon Diner and served alongside a sausage, apple and blue cheese omelet and home fries. The omelet was good though a little disconcerting because the apples were crispy granny smiths and I'm just not used to fresh/non cooked things in my eggs. Think about it, you're not either. The tots were fry-tastic--especially after I drenched them in siracha sauce. Outside of that, I haven't eaten out but have instead been living off a bangin' batch of chicken vegetable and rice soup that I made in the first days I was back. I also made a decent batch of fiery, roasted bell pepper pasta sauce that has helped sustain me. Saturday i hope to have people over for a Southern food fest. I got a twofer on frozen e-z peel jumbo shrimp at Teeter so maybe I'll make a huge thing of shrimp and grits? Boil up some greens to go with... who knows. Maybe I'll cook some of the recipes featured in the Gourmet Magazine on Edna Lewis.

1 comment:

Bailey said...

Hello - I read your blog about the January issue of Gourmet Magazine and it's feature on Edna Lewis.

I was privileged to get to know Miss Lewis during the last years of her life. I am a documentary maker in Atlanta, Georgia and I've produced a documentary about Edna Lewis, her life and her relationship with Scott Peacock.

It is featured on the Gourmet Magazine website.

The link is on the site.
http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/video/2008/01/Edna


My documentary is called Fried Chicken and Sweet Potato Pie.

You can also see the documentary on the Georgia Public Broadcasting site C-47:

http://www.cforty7.com/film/theater?film_test=16

My website, http://bbarash.com/index.htm has more information about the film and the story of Miss Lewis.
Bailey Barash