Thursday, January 31, 2008

Food is fun

Yesterday I came home stressed out and wired after driving four 12 year old girls home who thought it would be fun to give me the wrong directions. So I decided to cook. I put some rice with tomato paste on the stove, and set about making my own tortillas (tortillas are wonderfully simple to make--masa, water, a pinch of salt) which I filled with garlic-shrimp and corn and then sprinkled chopped onion, cilantro and lime juice on top. At the last minute I heated up some black beans and had myself a bangin' baja feast. It was all rather involved for a Wednesday night--but it made me feel better. I didn't take any pictures, but imagine two home made tortillas--thick, golden and covered in small browned circles--filled with diced pink shrimp and bright yellow corn kernels and then topped with chopped green cilantro and iridescent diced onion. On the side imagine red-pink rice, shiny black beans and two slices of lime. It was beautiful.

I wrote an article for the Cav Daily about Edna Lewis and the Southern Comfort Food dinner party I threw. (I don't know how long that link will be good for. so, get it while it's hot!) I also forgot to take pictures of that gorge-fest, but did take a picture of the remains of the pecan pie the morning after. After people left, there was still half a pecan pie. By 1 in the afternoon. Well...you see how it is.

Outside of that, I just got back from NYC where I ate my way through three days of Hillary time. Notably, I got a cappuccino and pastry at this amazing Italian bakery on Bleeker St. Called Rocco's. I also ate my weight in Burmese food at Cafe Mengala on 73rd and 3rd, went to this fun Turkish place at 81st and 3rd called Beyoglu (the lamb dish here was AMAZING), and got a crazy brunch at Park Avenue Winter. This place is a crazy: Every season it closes it's doors for 48 hours and redesigns the interior and menu to be season-appropriate. So, if you want to eat what I ate, you better go before they turn it into Park Avenue Spring. Plus, my buddy Lawrence is the sous-chef and he's flipping awesome, so you need to go.

I'm leaving you with a picture of china-town produce vendors because it's pretty. That's all folks.

No comments: