Friday, April 13, 2007

Welcome to The Sliv

Welcome to The Sliv: A Blog About Food in Charlottesville.

So, What's a "sliv?" A sliv is what my grandfather is referring to when he, ever so reliably, asks for a second helping of cake or pie at family dinners. This can be endearing and it can also be annoying ("Why did you ask for a small piece to begin with?!?!?") but, irritation aside, the sliv will always remind me of the spirit of communal food preparation and shared experiences with loved ones. So, I chose to call this blog "The Sliv" for a couple of reasons. The first pays homage to the spirit of occasional overindulgence in the things we love--such as a good slice of cake--and the second has to do with my mission for this blog. I want to create a forum where people talk about why its awesome to eat together, what they eat that makes it awesome, and how others might attempt to recreate the magic. Really, I just want to share my love for food--to promote a belief in the power of food and provide a glimpse (a sliver if you will) of the bountiful and sensational opportunities for community dining in Charlottesville.

In the future, I hope to compile lists of community friendly dining experiences, recipes, and ideas for awesome ways to share, buy, and make food. I hope that many a guest writer will contribute his or her delicious, disastrous, luscious and smell-rific shared dining experiences with us!

I'm on my way to a pot-luck dinner. I'll be sure to share what I made with you. Now then, GO EAT people.


2 comments:

hushmama said...

yo! i got a blog so i can comment on your beauteous food commentary. xox m.

Anonymous said...

Great Definition of Sliv. /s/ Yr Grandparents